DAAD visit: “Settlement and Landscape change in Medieval Europe“
- Wednesday, August 31: 13:00 (MD, HPK)
Arrival Frankfurt / M. International Airport Transfer to Jugendhaus Don Bosco Hostel, Am Fort Gonsenheim 54, 55122 Mainz, Mrs. C. Stauffer (06131 - 253617)
Meeting at Don Bosco hostel and check-in
- Wednesday, August 31: 16:00 – 18:00 (MD, HPK)
walk to historical city centre
- Thursday, September 1, .2011, 9:00 – 12:00 (MD, HPK)
Mainz: visit to the Campus of Johannes Gutenberg University, Seminary of Old Testament and biblical Studies, meeting with Prof. Dr. Zwickel; Mainz Technical college, Institute of digital measuring, meeting with Prof. Dr. Kai-Christian Bruhn,
- Thursday, September 1, .2011, 14:00 – 18:00 (MD, HPK)
Mainz: Meeting with Landeskonservator Dr. Joachim Glatz, Department of Historical monuments, Directorate of Cultural heritage (06131- 2016206): Introduction to SHUM – Cities: World Cultural Heritage of Jewish monuments in Speyer, Worms and Mainz; visit of archaeological site of Römerpassage.
- Friday, September 2, 2011, 9:00 – 12:00: Mainz (MD, HPK)
Visit to Römisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum, meeting with Dr. Rainer Schreg; visit of Landesmuseum Mainz (State museum of art and archaeology).
- Friday, September 2, 2011, 14:00 – 18:00: Ingelheim and Bingen (MD, HPK)
Ingelheim: visit to archaeological zone and research centre of Charlemagne’s Imperial Palace, meetings with Holger Grewe M.A.. / Mrs. Ferch (06132 – 57 99 93); Bingen: topography and geology of Middle Rhine valley
- Saturday, September 3, 2011, 9:00 – 19:00: Köln (HPK)
Cathedral, Schnütgen Museum (museum of medieval art); Römisch-Germanisches Museum (museum of Germano-roman archaeology), archaeological zone around city hall; walk through historical centre. Meetings with Dr. Carola Fey, Chair of Medieval History, Giessen University ( 06419928141); Katja Kliemann M.A., Archeological site of Heumarkt – Synagogue excavations.
- Sunday, September 4, 2011, 11:00 – 16:00: Eberbach (HPK, MD ?)
Cistercian monastery: site and monuments (optional). Meetings with Prof. Dr. Stephan Tebruck / Chair of Medieval History, University of Gießen: Crusader period research in Germany (0641 – 9928130) and Martin Blach, Director of Eberbach monastery foundation (06723 - 9178114)
- Monday, September 5, 2011, 9:00 – 18:00: Mayen (MD)
Workshop “Geoarchaeology” at research centre of vulcanism, archaeology and history of technics of Römisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum; sites of celto- roman millstone industry, basalt quarries,
Laacher See: Geology and recent vulcanism
- Tuesday, September 6, 9:00 – 18:00: “Shum” cities of Worms and / or Speyer (MD, HPK)
Worms: Romanesque cathedral and St. Paul’s church, medieval Jewish miqveh and cemetery, Rashi house; Meeting with Dr. Irene Spille, Municipal Department of Historical Monuments Speyer: Romanesque cathedral, medieval Jewish miqveh, Museum Schpira; meeting with Dr. Werner Transier, Museum of Palatinate History (06232 – 132531).
Alluvial deposits of Rhine valley
- Wednesday, September 7, 8:00 – 23:00
Aachen: cathedral and palace of Charlemagne, cathedral treasure Meeting with Dr. Andreas Schaub, Municipal archaeologist (0241 – 4326163); 11:45 guided tour cathedral.
15:00 Transfer to Berlin via Inter City Express ICE: Check-in Berliner Stadtmission, Gästehaus im Zentrum, Lehrter Str. 68, 10557 Berlin, Tel. 030 - 39 83 500
- Thursday, September 8th, 10:00 – 13:00: Berlin
Historical centre Unter den Linden, Museum of German History
- Thursday, September 8th, 16:00 – 20:00: Berlin
Museum of Islamic art: Workshop Khirbet al Minyah (cf. separate program)
- Friday, September 9, 9:00 – 17:00: Berlin
German Archaeological Institute: Workshop Khirbet al Minyah (cf. separate program)
- Saturday, September 10th, 2011: Berlin
Berlin: visit to Museums (optional)
- Sunday, September 11, 2011:
Departure to Israel